DRINK WITH THE WENCH PRESENTS:
The Beer Blogger Interview Series
Curious what goes on in the minds of your favorite beer bloggers? Well, The Beer Wench is and she has embarked upon a mission to interview as many beer bloggers that she can — from all over the world. Are you a beer blogger? Do you want to share your story? Send me an email!
INTRODUCING: ADRIENNE RINALDI
AUTHOR OF: BEER SNOB CHICK
Beer Blogger Interview
Full name: Adrienne Rinaldi
Twitter handle: @BeerSnobChick
Facebook: Beer Snob Chick
Name of blog: Beer Snob Chick
Current location: Denver, CO. Mecca of Beer
1. Where did you grow up?
I’m a nomad. Well not really. I moved around a lot, Arizona to Southern California to Minnesota to Arizona and now Colorado. Home is where your heart is.
2. What sports if any did you play growing up, through college and beyond?
Grew up swimming, throughout high school as well. But, shoulder surgeries prevented me from collegiate sports. I currently LOVE rock climbing, hiking, running, snowboarding…anything outdoors really.
3. How old were you when you had your first beer?
No idea. I was lucky enough to get little sips from my dads beer, but at the time I thought it was gross.
4. If you can recall, what is the story of your first beer? Where did you have it? What style and brand was it?
I remember going off to college and my dad telling me beer would be my favorite beverage. I did not believe him at the time. Although, I hate to admit the first beer I actually liked was Amber Bock. This began my taste for darker, malty beers.
5. Where, if applicable, did you go to college? What did you study? What additional activities, organizations, sports did you partake in during college?
I went to Arizona State University and studied broadcast journalism and political science. I’m hoping to get an MBA in the next couple years with an emphasis in marketing and entrepreneurship.
Craft Beer Epiphany
Every craft beer enthusiast has at least one pinnacle craft beer experience that completely changes ones perspective on beer. I refer to this mind-blowing moment as a “craft beer epiphany.”
1. What was your first craft beer epiphany? Recall as many details about it as you can:
I cannot recall one moment, but I do remember having my first oatmeal stout, hesitant at first because of the dark color, but then completely appreciating the full flavors of a stout.
Beer Blog Background
1. How long have you been writing your beer blog?
Just over a year.
2. What inspired you to start writing your blog?
My favorite bar in Tempe, Arizona was/is Four Peaks Brewery. A group of friends go there to have beer after rock climbing. I would then check out different breweries wherever I would go, take photos etc. Someone told me I should start writing about my experiences, from a female perspective, and try to write my love for good craft beer to peak interest in other females.
3. Why did you choose the name of your blog?
At a bar with a high school friend a couple of years ago, I was bummed that there was not a craft beer selection. My friend said to me, “Why don’t you just get an MGD like everyone else?” I said to him, “I’d rather have a glass of water than drink that stuff!” His response was, “Your such a beer snob.” I then spoke to my dad about the name I had received and he said, “I’m so glad I raised a beer snob chick.” And, thus, it began.
4. What are you personal goals for your blog?
What do you hope to achieve with it? Eventually, I would like to compile a book geared towards women and how to find the inner beer snob within them, perhaps sell some t-shirts, and have advertising.
5. What is one of the coolest things that happened to you as a result of being a beer blogger?
I have had a few breweries link my blog to their site. Many friends now ask me what breweries to go to and which beers to try. I have been invited to attend the Sisterhood of Suds, go to a beer blogging conference, and hopefully be featured on the Beer Wench site!
6. What are you top 3 favorite beer blogs/beer websites?
1. What are your top 3 favorite beer styles?
IPA, porters and stouts.
2. What are your top 3 favorite breweries?
Four Peaks in Tempe, Ariz.; Great Divide in Denver, Colo.; and Left Hand in Longmont, Colo.; and have to mention Prescott Brewery in Prescott, Ariz.
3. If you could work with or for any one brewery, which one would it be and why?
Great Divide. I love the atmosphere, the beers and the still small feel if a better know craft brewery.
4. Are you a homebrewer? If yes, what is the most unique and interesting beer recipes you’ve brewed as a homebrewer?
I am not, I just enjoy the artistry of others.
5. Do you have any beer certifications (BJCP, Cicerone, Siebel, American Brewers Guild)?? If so, what are they?
6. What is your favorite beer and food pairing?
The first thing that comes to mind is pizza and beer! But, I love a good stout and with stinky blue cheese or brie.
The Personal Side
1. What is your current day job?
I own my own marketing/communications company, Vega Communications.
2. If you could change your career at this very moment, without any restrictions on what you could do, what would you want to do and why?
I would be a professional traveler! I love to travel and been in the outdoors and experience different cultures. I have yet to find something I can make money by doing that.
3. Are you married? Children?
4. Outside of beer and writing, what are some of your other hobbies?
Hiking, camping, rock climbing, snowboarding, running, Pilates, relaxing with friends and traveling. I love to explore, dream and discover.
Off The Beaten Path
1. If you were a style of beer, what style would be and why?
I would be chili beer. Who doesn’t enjoy smooth and spicy?
2. You were caught smuggling beer illegally, which has now been made punishable by death. Right before you are sent to the executioner, you are offered one last beer. What beer would you chose and why?
Four Peaks Pumpkin Porter, combined with a splash of their Oatmeal Stout. That would take me right to Heaven.
3. If I contracted you to brew a beer (or design a beer recipe) called “The Beer Wench” — what style would you chose and what, if any, extra ingredients would you add?
I adore a good stout, I would add a bit of chocolate and blueberry. Not too much blueberry, just enough so you can smell blueberry and taste chocolate. It would be an amazing combination. I have only had one brewer perfect it.
4. If you could be a superhero, what would you want your superpowers to be?
Incredible, and my powers would be anything incredible.
5. What are your thoughts on bacon?
SPECIAL THANKS TO ADRIENNE FOR AN AWESOME INTERVIEW!
Fun article. Informative and whimsical.
Looks like her shoulders are doing well after the surgeries.
Great interview! Funny but you can tell this chica really knows her stuff. She’s hot too I’ll be checking out her blog for sure and I’m looking forward to that book.