DRINK WITH THE WENCH PRESENTS:
The Beer Blogger Interview Series
Curious what goes on in the minds of your favorite beer bloggers? Well, The Beer Wench is and she has embarked upon a mission to interview as many beer bloggers that she can — from all over the world. Are you a beer blogger? Do you want to share your story? Send me an email!
INTRODUCING: DANIEL AKA “THE DUDE”
AUTHOR OF: IT’S A FUCKING BEER
Beer Blogger Interview
Full name: Daniel
Internet nickname: The Dude
Twitter handle: @itsafuckingbeer
Name of blog: itsafuckingbeer.com
Current location: Greenville, SC
1. Where did you grow up?
I grew up in a small town called Abbeville, SC, which is affectionately referred to as the “birthplace and deathbed of the Confederacy.” No shit. Take that, rest of the South.
2. What sports if any did you play growing up, through college and beyond?
Baseball all the way until I started having to actually make the team to play. I took up skateboarding a second time in college and still try a drunken ollie or kickflip here and there.
3. How old were you when you had your first beer?
Other than a sip of Dad’s Silver Bullet growing up, I was a few months shy of 21. I’ve made up for it.
4. If you can recall, what is the story of your first beer? Where did you have it? What style and brand was it?
I didn’t really like the first beer I tasted, which was a Bass Pale Ale someone else was having at the now thrice-defunct Wings Down Under here in Greenville. A few years later when that bar was called the Bait Shack, I used to swill large amounts of cheap PBR there until it closed down.
5. Where, if applicable, did you go to college? What did you study? What additional activities, organizations, sports did you partake in during college?
I attended Clemson University where I majored in mechanical engineering with a minor in film studies. I was a college radio DJ and a writer/editor/photographer at the school newspaper. I tended to drink lots of whiskey while writing, like all good southern writers.
Craft Beer Epiphany
Every craft beer enthusiast has at least one pinnacle craft beer experience that completely changes ones perspective on beer. I refer to this mind-blowing moment as a “craft beer epiphany.”
1. What was your first craft beer epiphany? Recall as many details about it as you can:
Oi, I’d probably have to say when I made a spring break trip and did some shopping in a state that allowed beer with higher alcohol content. Not that it should make much difference, but I grabbed a few Avery brews and Stone Arrogant Bastard. It fucked my world. I wasn’t ready for the Reverend or Salvation – I still don’t do Belgians – but my eyes were opened. Also, I lost my job and went way broke right after I stocked up. My only other choice was O.E. 800.
2. Have you have additional craft beer epiphanies since the first? Detail as many of them as you wish:
A buddy brought Dale’s Pale Ale over to my first house party / barbecue when I moved away from my college town in 2006. Another friend brought Terrapin Rye. I was hooked on them both that entire summer. And I still drink them regularly.
Beer Blog Background
1. How long have you been writing your beer blog?
Almost a whole fucking year now!
2. What inspired you to start writing your blog?
I was sick and tired of beer blogs that went on for ages without actually letting you know if the beer was worth a shit. Also, bad writing and photography in said beer blogs. Come on, people, we aren’t all 13 year old girls with our first iPhones, ripping up livejournal.
3. Why did you chose the name of your blog?
Well, we were drinking at a bar, bitching about how confusing beer reviews can be and I just said “It’s a fucking beer, just drink it!” Fucking epiphany.
4. What are you personal goals for your blog? What do you hope to achieve with it?
Well, I just want beer reviews to be less stuffy. I hope to generate a few laughs, all the while putting out content that can be digested while the readers are drinking heavily. Don’t get me wrong – I love beer, but I’d rather drink it than sniff and douche with it.
5. What is one of the coolest things that happened to you as a result of being a beer blogger?
Strangely, locals recognize me from it. And that motherfucker Greg from Stone insisted on taking a photo of us…together. One of these days I’m gonna get a a free beer.
6. What are your top 3 favorite beer blogs/beer websites?
1. What are your top 3 favorite beer styles?
IPA, Stout (imperials and all that), Scotch Ale
2. What are your top 3 favorite breweries?
Founders, Bear Republic, Oskar Blues.
3. If you could work with or for any one brewery, which one would it be and why?
Well shit. Brewdog is pretty much the Courtney Love of breweries, but I’m sure they’d be fun as hell to work for. Also, I’m sure they’d love my ruddy face-hair and public urination stats.
4. Are you a homebrewer? If yes, what is the most unique and interesting beer recipes you’ve brewed as a homebrewer?
No. I’m more of a quality guy. I helped my roommate brew a smoked habanero imperial stout that we’re pretty proud of in response to Monster Energy Drink being a bunch of assholes to RockArt Brewery.
5. Do you have any beer certifications (BJCP, Cicerone, Siebel, American Brewers Guild)?? If so, what are they?
Hell no. I’m Scots-Irish with a liver like a golf ball and no conscience.
6. What is your favorite beer and food pairing?
Uh. Pizza and beer. IPA or stout. Yeah. I said it. Or burgers. Burgers go fucking great with stouts, IPAs, pales or any combination of the three.
The Personal Side
1. What is your current day job?
Uh… What? Day job? I’m a freelance photographer / pourer of growlers / filmmaker / band promoter / asshole / art dude.
2. If you could change your career at this very moment, without any restrictions on what you could do, what would you want to do and why?
Make films. I stopped being a tire engineer a while back for this reason. Yes, tire engineer. Michelin. I’m sure you’ve heard of it.
3. Are you married? Children?
No. Shit, I hope not.
4. Outside of beer and writing, what are some of your other hobbies?
Photography, filmmaking, guitar, running, general fuckery.
Off The Beaten Path
1. If you were a style of beer, what style would be an why?
Scotch Ale. I’m a ginger Ulster-Scot. Sweet, red and violent.
2. You were caught smuggling beer illegally, which has now been made punishable by death. Right before you are sent to the executioner, you are offered one last beer. What beer would you chose and why?
Probably a Terrapin Hopsecutioner just for the irony. And because it’s pretty damn good.
3. If I contracted you to brew a beer (or design a beer recipe) called “The Beer Wench” — what style would you chose and what, if any, extra ingredients would you add?
Still gonna go with Scotch Ale for this one. The sex and violence of your taste buds would totally fit the profile.
4. If you could be a superhero, what would you want your superpowers to be?
Dude, invisibility always rules. And flying. Maybe I could be Wonder Woman’s plane. She would always be all up in me.
5. What is one of the craziest things you have ever done and lived to tell the story?
Oh shit, really? I’ve spent time in jail on each coast, but I’d have to say running from the cops and getting away with it (mostly unscathed) would take the cake. That or chasing cars down the street with my bare ass…
6. What are your thoughts on bacon?
Go Benton’s or go home.
SPECIAL THANKS TO DANIEL FOR AN AWESOME INTERVIEW!