Although the city of LA is mostly associated with Hollywood, fake boobs and horrible traffic, Los Angeles is slowly but surely emerging as one of California’s best beer cities. More and more buzz-worthy breweries, beer bars, and gastropubs are popping up in The City of Angels. What was once a beer desert, LA is slowing metamorphosing into a beer paradise.
Next week, September 20-30, marks the start of the 4th Annual LA Beer Week. Although LA is relatively “new” to the beer week scene, it is still one of the best beer weeks, in my opinion, that the country has to offer. But don’t take my word for it. Check out the epic line-up of events already on the schedule! And don’t forget to follow the LA Beer Week action on Twitter —
@LABeerWeek and the official hashtag: #LABW
LA BEER WEEK EVENT PREVIEW
- Stone Total Town Takeover: Pasadena | Stone Brewing Co. previews its soon-to-open Stone Company Store – Pasadena location. Co-Founders Steve Wagner & Greg Koch will be on hand, sharing special beers and nibbles from Stone Catering, with live music. Tickets are $25; all proceeds will benefit a local charity. (7-9:30p) Other events with the Stone Brewing Co. team will also be taking place in Pasadena throughout the day. (Details)
- Fried Chicken, Craft Draft | Eva Restaurant offers Chef Mark Gold’s all-you-can-eat fried chicken and all-you-can-drink Beachwood BBQ & Brewing Foam Top Cream Ale for $39. RSVP via (323) 634-0700. (6-10p)
- Dogfish Head Craft Brewery Invades Little Tokyo | Far Bar will be pouring 12 of this famed Delaware brewery’s beers, including some very rare and hard-to-get selections. In addition, an extra special treat will be running through the “organoleptic hop transducer module”… better known to Dogfish Head fans as Randall the Enamel Animal. (6p)
- Poutine Paradise | No, it’s not a recipe or song from Cookin’ with Coolio… it’s five courses of gourmet poutines will be paired with five Schneider-Weisse beers, along with a special dessert pairing at P’tit Soleil Westwood. (Two seatings: 6:30p & 8:30p)
- Walker’s Wild Ride | David Walker of Firestone Walker Brewing Co. will be hauling several rare sour beers around town in a vintage ‘55 Land Rover, with stops at Golden Road Brewing, Verdugo Bar, 38 Degrees Alehouse & Grill, Far Bar, and Blue Palms Brewhouse. (12:30p-??)
- Better Weather Fest | Golden Road Brewing will be celebrating their first year and their new brewery/restaurant expansions. Festival goers will be able to enjoy craft beers from a number of breweries, tour the new facilities, order eats from food trucks (Mandoline Grill, Crispy Waffle & Frite), all while relaxing to musical beats. (12-4p)
- Schneider Beer Brunch | Wurstküche hosts a tasty 5 course sausage and Schneider beer pairing, presented by a special guest from the brewery. Includes an Aventinus ice cream dessert course paired with Vintage 2008 Aventinus. (11a)
- OC Fest of Ales | The inaugural OC Fest of Ales kicks off in Anaheim with over 100 beers, VIP food pairings, music and a Beer Run 5K.
- Brewer’s Brunch | Eagle Rock Brewery be opening up for brunch to chat with the owners and brewers. Resident Chef Jerry Su will be serving up some amazing brunch options as well. Entry is $15; includes two beers, food, and you get to keep the pint glass. (10a-1p)
- Berliner Brunch | Beachwood BBQ & Brewing (Long Beach) offers a special brunch menu along with several different varieties of Berliner Weisse on tap, served with or without house-made syrups. (11a-4p)
- Craft for Crap | Beer Belly wants you to educate your friend who somehow still drinks crap beers, despite the bounty of good we’re now surrounded with. Bring that friend, and one of the crap beers from their fridge and trade it up for a craft beer, at the low, low price of one cent.
- Beauty of the Barrel | The Victorian has partnered with Brew Something LA to help you enjoy both barrel-aged spirits and barrel-aged beers in one place at one time. Tickets are $40, and net proceeds go to benefit The Virginia Avenue Project. (4-8p)
- Ancient Ales Dinner | The Little Bear’s Chef Andre Guerrero has created a five-course meal to be paired with Dogfish Head Craft Brewery’s five “Ancient Ales.” The menu is insane. Tickets are $75; reservations can be made via (213) 622-8100. (7p)
- So You Want to Open a Brewery in LA…A Brewers Panel | Join moderator Tomm Carroll (from The Celebrator Beer News) at Rock & Brews as he talks with those brave few who have recently started brewing professionally in Los Angeles — or have plans to do so in the near future. They’ll discuss their experiences with starting a brewery and share their war stories. (7p)
- Musical Beer Crawl | Local beer darling/social media pro Cambria Griffith hosts the 2nd Annual LA Beer Week Musical Beer Crawl. This event unites the numerous extra-fantastic beer, music and food venues all along Echo Park’s W. Sunset Blvd. for a night of real beer, live music, discounts, surprises and giveaways. Printable “passports” will be available for download at MusicalBeerCrawl.com beginning Tuesday, Sept 18.
- Beer University: Farmhouse Ales | Steingarten LA hosts homebrew guru Drew Beechum, who will give an amazing talk on saisons and other farmhouse ales, selecting some of his favorite examples of the style to drink, with specially tailored food and beer pairings. Five courses. RSVP via (310) 441-0441. (7p)
- Brewmaster’s Dinner | Kinetic Brewing Company hosts an epic eight-course beer pairing dinner at their brewery in Lancaster. Tickets are $65. (6p)
- Suckling Pig Roast | King’s Row Gastropub roasts a whole hog that’s been marinated in Firestone Walker beer. 8+ Firestone Walker beers on tap. (6p)
- Big Crawl in Little Tokyo | Special beers and glassware giveaways at some of Little Tokyo’s best beer bars: Far Bar, The Escondite, The Lazy Ox Canteen, Spitz, Izakaya Fu-ga, Weiland Brewery, and Xlixe Pizzeria. (6p)
- Lucky Baldwins Exclusive Pub Tour | Shuttle buses take patrons around the Pasadena environs all night, looping between all three Lucky Baldwins locations. Tickets are $45. (6:30p-12a)
- Port Brewing / The Lost Abbey night | Join the crew from this famed North County San Diego brewery along with over 20 of their beers at The Surly Goat. (6p)
- The Oinkster 6th Anniversary | Six burger specials from the past six years, with a tap takeover featuring Eagle Rock Brewery.
- FoodGPS LA Beer Float Showdown | FoodGPS.com’s Josh Lurie has assembled five teams of top L.A. chefs and local breweries to collaborate on creating the ultimate beer float at Golden Road Brewing. Come taste and vote for your favorite. Tickets are $35; VIP $45. A portion of the proceeds will benefit The Pablove Foundation. (2-5p)
- Boneyard Bistro Brunch | Six-course brunch menu, with beer cocktail and special release beer pairings from Deschutes Brewery, Firestone Walker Brewing Co., and Lagunitas Brewing Company. Tickets are $45. (2p)
- LA Beer Week Festival | The signature closing festivities for LA Beer Week. Over 70 breweries will be in attendance at Union Station, pouring unlimited samples of their goodies alongside food trucks and local artisans on-site peddling their wares. Tickets are $50; net proceeds benefit The Spero Foundation, The LA Brewers Guild, and the Glassell Park Recreation Center. (12-4p)
There are also some special events taking place over the entirety of LA Beer Week (9/20-9/30), including:
- Savory Malibu will create a special three-course beer pairing menu featuring Smog City Brewing. RSVP via (310) 589-8997.
- City Tavern will be featuring a different barrel-aged beer pairing each day.
- Bar | Kitchen (at The O Hotel) will be making special craft beer cocktails.
- Lucky Baldwins 16th Anniversary Celebration will feature rare and vintage beers from Stone Brewing Co.
And even more taking place over the course of several days, including:
- Beachwood BBQ (Seal Beach) Farmhouse Ale Festival (9/20-9/23)
- Homebrewing demonstrations at Wurstküche Venice (9/20, 9/23, and 9/27)
- Sadie (Hollywood) will be creating special menu pairings and cocktails with beers from Lost Coast Brewery. RSVP via (323) 467-0200. (9/20-9/22 & 9/25-9/29)
- Tony’s Darts Away IPA Festival in Burbank (9/23-9/28)
- Saturday, Sept 22
- Sunday, Sept 23 (11am. Free.)
- LA to OC: Golden Road/Noble Ale Works/Old Orange/The Bruery
- Thursday, Sept 27 (5pm. Free.)
- South Bay: El Segundo/Strand/Monkish/Select Beer Store
- Sunday, Sept 29 (1pm. Free.)
- OC: Old Orange/Noble Ale Works/Bootlegger’s/The Bruery